Pages

Sunday, December 25, 2011

My R11 Irons Review

TaylorMade R11 Irons Features: Ultra-thin face thickness promotes faster ball speed and distance. Inverted Cone Technology promotes faster ball speed and distance on off-center hits. Multi-Functional sole increases playability from a variety of lies. Progressive topline thickness promotes confidence at address throughout the set. Advanced groove design promotes increased spin and control.

I'm a shade under a 9 handicap. Good driving sets up my game for good scoring. Typical solid rounds are a lot of pars and some bogeys, limiting the damage to a double-bogey or two. 1 or 2 birdies a round is my average. I'm not a very high-ball hitter and prefer lighter weight shafts, but standard swing weight irons. I can effectively play 'off-the-rack' setups out of the box as they're very close to my actual specs. I've been playing TaylorMade MCs for the better part of the summer with success. I've ONLY played forged irons for several years because I LOVE forged feel. I've tried some cast clubs and disliked every one.

They're solid. I've tried Burner 2.0s and the feel/size of the club heads just weren't for me. These fall in the middle. If you like the Burner 2.0 concept but dislike their feel, these R11 Irons will surprise you. Not only do these feel nice for a cast club, but they have good feel overall. Frankly, I'm impressed.

These are longer than my normal clubs by about 1 clublength. I'd say the long TaylorMade R11 Irons are a bit longer than that, possibly a club and a half. I'd add a 3 iron if I could. I think it's easy to hit. With Burner 2.0s, every once in a while, there'd be that flyer that would travel 15 yards further on an dead, solid perfect strike. I have not experienced that with these. Distance is long and consistent.

The heads are larger than a typical players club. These are geared for scratch to 20 handicaps, so they will be larger than others. The heads are progressive in shape, but that's not noticeable when playing like Burners. The leading edge is sharper and there's less camber to appeal to a better player. I believe you will feel better when use yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment